Hi all! I’m Ronni – I grew up (as the oldest of 6 daughters) in suburban/rural smaller town Texas. After graduating from a small conservative Christian college in the middle of the Bible Belt, I decided to – why not? – move out to Los Angeles to work in the entertainment industry so I could better understand the world.
Growing up in a community very different than the one I live in now has allowed me to understand society from a unique, middle-of-the-road perspective. I love learning about how people think and feel and believe on this grand journey of life!
Anyways. So I moved to Los Angeles– In the early years I worked traveling on production of reality tv shows. But traveling became harder when I found myself falling in love with a guy named Kyle (previously called “KP” in this blog) – and, in total opposite of everyone else our age we knew in L.A. – we got married “super young” at age 24 & 25.
Fast forward a dozen or so years and three kids later and here we are.
During those years, I went back to school and got my teaching credentials, tutored child actors on set, taught high school math, worked at online charter schools, and eventually became a stay-at-home-mom/blogger. Kyle went from working in development to screenwriting. There was a tv show writers room staff position for a couple years, a tv pilot that sold but not made, a bunch of random stuff to make ends meet, a steady film marketing job making movie trailers, and always more writing on the side. Basically, this is the life here. Always dreaming, always striving for more, always hoping toward the future.
I started this blog in 2014 as The Screenwriter’s Wife, where I dabbled in writing about a few different topics – notably about the hard times of marriage. I’d also hoped to show a more realistic portrait of what the “Hollywood life” is like for most of us here, especially those of us with families – it’s not nearly as cool on a daily basis as we’d all like to think.
In the summer of 2019, I changed my blog title to The Mom Life Story to better reflect what I *actually* tend to write about.
I still have a heart for talking about marriage (and I’ll be totally honest and talk about both the totally crappy parts along with the good parts, btw) – but I realize that that topic is better served on its’ own site. So I’m working on moving all my marriage stuff over to marriage-irl.com. It’s (suuuper) slow going, but eventually I hope to do both blogs simultaneously.
Oh and I’m also writing my own script. But there’s an element of quantum physics involved in the story so I’m doing all this research to try to learn some stuff so my script doesn’t sound dumb. Because you know, isn’t that what most moms do in their spare time??
I’m weird. I’m a mom. This is my life story.
Feel free to sign up for my email list if you wanna join along for the ride!
Topics I Often Write About:
- Marriage during the TOUGH TIMES – We’ve all heard the happy marriage, lovey-dovey stuff. That stuff’s everywhere out there. But what about when marriage gets hard? Really hard? Where the online encouragement for how to get your marriage through those times – or even why you’d want to? I’m eventually planning to move all my heavier marriage stuff over to my new site marriage-irl.com, but it’s been slow going. If you sign up for my marriage-irl email newsletter, I’ll make an announcement whenever that’s finally up and running.
- Mom Life during the CRAZY TIMES – There are some really awesome moms out there who seem to have it all together. I’m not one of those. I’m very much classified as a “hot mess mom”. But I try guys, I really do. I swear there are pros to my naturally scatterbrained, out-of-the-box-thinking, mind but just have patience with me, k? If you’re a bit of a hot mess mom too, then you’ll probably feel right at home here. 🙂 Which leads me to…
- “Thinking Too Much” during the DEEP TIMES – one side effect of an overactive mind is that I like to think about topics deeply. I question and ponder ideas that I’ve come to realize that not everyone else does. And you know what? That’s totally cool if you don’t. But if you do?? Stick around because I sometimes go off on existential/metaphysical tangents. Because I’m weird and think it’s fun to think too much.
- Movie Life when I wanna look like I have COOL TIMES – I don’t talk about this part of my life too publicly on here, but yes, my family and I live in L.A. and do the “movie industry” thing. Sometimes this affects our lives in ways that are unique to us and others here in this community. Every once in awhile I might help promote a friend’s project, or talk about the journey of screenwriting (which I’ve taken up as well now!), or some of the cool opportunities we get to participate in due to our lives here.
Some Of My Most Popular Posts:
- The Complete List of Date Night Subscription Boxes – want date night in a box delivered to your door? Wondering about all the different companies out there now? This is the post to check out.
- When Marriage Is Hard. Really, Really Hard – you’re not alone. Marriage can get a lot harder than most people publicly talk about. That doesn’t mean you have to give up on your marriage either. I offer a few ways to keep going even when you don’t feel like it.
- The Best Folding Kids Wagon You Can Push Like a Stroller – I searched far and wide for the perfect wagon for my kids and then wrote about it. Apparently there’s a lot of people out there also looking for the perfect wagon too and it’s become a popular post.
- Are The Ultimate Bundles Legit? Scam? Amazing Deal? Or Marketing Ploy? – a bunch of other bloggers regularly promote these ‘Ultimate Bundle’ things full of ebooks and ecourses for a steal of a deal. I review a bunch of them so that you can know whether or not you’re actually going to get a good deal or not.
- Family of 5, 700 Sq. Ft. House – full disclosure, we moved a year ago to a larger house, however, this post is still pretty popular. Yes, we were a family of 4, and then briefly a family of 5, in only 700 sq feet! Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.