I started this blog in 2014 and called it The Screenwriter’s Wife. I wrote a bit about marriage (and my marriage posts still get a good amount of traffic today), but struggled with keeping up as the world of blogging changed. While I still had a lot to say about marriage & relationships, I found myself at odds in a world of confirmation biases & cancel culture & twitter frenzies (not to mention I’ve got my own my marriage to work on over here and we’re not perfect either). Lacking the necessary courage, I stopped writing about the hard-hitting marriage topics that I used to.
As I grew and my marriage grew, I also became uncomfortable referring to myself only in terms of “wife”. I wanted a more independent title for myself.
In the summer of 2019, I changed my blog name to The Mom Life Story to better represent what I actually tended to write most about: mom life. However, that name never felt completely right either, so in Jan. 2020, I changed it once again to Think Too Much Mom. Which is basically the sum of my existence lol.
Look, I love my children. I’m really glad I have them. I wouldn’t want to go back to not having them. But I’ll admit that I often struggle with the chaos of motherhood. All the noise. Especially all the noise in my brain – my focus constantly being pulled in so many directions at once. The lack of “me time”. The inability to pursue my own creative endeavors. While on one hand my children have been the greatest philosophical blessings and given me meaning and purpose to life and time itself, on the other hand they have been the most difficult mental burdens I didn’t even realize beforehand that they would be.
The dichotomy of motherhood is weird. And intense. And while women sort of talk about these things, idk, maybe I think too much, lol, but I haven’t really found anyone who talks about it like I want to talk about it.
So I’m just going to start talking about it.
I believe that moms, especially stay-at-home-moms, can still pursue creative passions and endeavors. That we don’t have to turn into empty shells of our former selves. That we can be moms and love our motherhood journey – but that we can also have individual, thinking minds separate from our children too.
The only thing is, I haven’t yet figured out exactly how to do that yet. I’m working on it.
Maybe you’re working on it too.
Back in the days, people used to have blogs because they enjoyed writing and reading about others’ thoughts and perspectives. You actually followed blogs and people and cared about them, and you often knew the person irl, or at least you liked the way they wrote. There was a community feel, a virtual friend network, someone out there to commiserate with, to celebrate with, to share similarities with.
I miss that old way of blogging. I think more people miss it than they realize they do.
So I’m going to do my small part to bring the old way back. Hybrid-ize (as if that’s a word). Balance “profesh mom blog” type of posts with “I’m a real person thinking thoughts” type of posts.
Maybe I can’t do it. Maybe no one cares about real people anymore.
Or maybe some of us still do.
Maybe you’re like me, plagued by what feels like too much thinking all the time. Wanting to do too much, be too much, impact too much. Yet in reality never quite achieving any of it and constantly fighting back feelings of failure because you didn’t.
If so, welcome! You can belong here. 🙂
Stay awhile. Poke around the site a bit. Maybe sign up for my newsletter below or find me on instagram if you feel so inclined.
Thanks for being here, let’s hang out, get to know each other, and encourage each other as we think too much through this crazy mom life world and hopefully not lose our minds during the process!
Topics I Often Write About:
- Marriage during the TOUGH TIMES – We’ve all heard the happy marriage, lovey-dovey stuff. That stuff’s everywhere out there. But what about when marriage gets hard? Really hard? Where the online encouragement for how to get your marriage through those times – or even why you’d want to? I’m eventually planning to move all my heavier marriage stuff over to my new site marriage-irl.com, but it’s been slow going. If you sign up for my marriage-irl email newsletter, I’ll make an announcement whenever that’s finally up and running.
- Mom Life during the CRAZY TIMES – There are some really awesome moms out there who seem to have it all together. I’m not one of those. I’m very much classified as a “hot mess mom”. But I try guys, I really do. I swear there are pros to my naturally scatterbrained, out-of-the-box-thinking, mind but just have patience with me, k? If you’re a bit of a hot mess mom too, then you’ll probably feel right at home here. 🙂 Which leads me to…
- “Thinking Too Much” during the DEEP TIMES – one side effect of an overactive mind is that I like to think about topics deeply. I question and ponder ideas that I’ve come to realize that not everyone else does. And you know what? That’s totally cool if you don’t. But if you do?? Stick around because I sometimes go off on existential/metaphysical tangents. Because I’m weird and think it’s fun to think too much.
- Movie Life when I wanna look like I have COOL TIMES – I don’t talk about this part of my life too publicly on here, but yes, my family and I live in L.A. and do the “movie industry” thing. Sometimes this affects our lives in ways that are unique to us and others here in this community. Every once in awhile I might help promote a friend’s project, or talk about the journey of screenwriting (which I’ve taken up as well now!), or some of the cool opportunities we get to participate in due to our lives here.
Some Of My Most Popular Posts:
- The Complete List of Date Night Subscription Boxes – want date night in a box delivered to your door? Wondering about all the different companies out there now? This is the post to check out.
- When Marriage Is Hard. Really, Really Hard – you’re not alone. Marriage can get a lot harder than most people publicly talk about. That doesn’t mean you have to give up on your marriage either. I offer a few ways to keep going even when you don’t feel like it.
- The Best Folding Kids Wagon You Can Push Like a Stroller – I searched far and wide for the perfect wagon for my kids and then wrote about it. Apparently there’s a lot of people out there also looking for the perfect wagon too and it’s become a popular post.
- Are The Ultimate Bundles Legit? Scam? Amazing Deal? Or Marketing Ploy? – a bunch of other bloggers regularly promote these ‘Ultimate Bundle’ things full of ebooks and ecourses for a steal of a deal. I review a bunch of them so that you can know whether or not you’re actually going to get a good deal or not.
- Family of 5, 700 Sq. Ft. House – full disclosure, we moved a year ago to a larger house, however, this post is still pretty popular. Yes, we were a family of 4, and then briefly a family of 5, in only 700 sq feet! Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.